Re: [NTLK] Apple's TIL retired

From: Tom Spielman (tomspielman_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Aug 07 2001 - 11:16:48 EDT

With Apple you've always paid more up front. Their margins are still
among the highest in the industry. One of the things you get in return
(at least you used to) is a machine with a longer life span.

Planned obsolescence isn't a good thing. Neither is warehouses full of
outdated computers and old monitors containing hazardous materials.
Every computer manufacturer should provide a free or low cost means for
the consumer to recycle old computers. Better yet, they should just make
them worth something longer.

Sure, some people keep their computers longer than cars. Computers don't
wear out like cars do. Many computers are disposed of that work as good
or better than the day they were made.

Although I may be selling mine soon, I've always felt that my mp2k was a
good purchase. I got 4 years of service out of it and if I wasn't now
required to lug around a laptop, I'd still be using it. It's still one
of the best PDA's in its class, -maybe the only PDA in its class.