Re: [NTLK] wearing out internal memory? (longish)

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Tue Aug 07 2001 - 11:56:19 EDT

On Tuesday, August 7, 2001, at 10:42 AM, Stainless Steel Rat wrote:

> * "Eric L. Strobel" <fyzycyst_at_home.com> on Tue, 07 Aug 2001
> | The key there is "What is the block size?" If it's some reasonable
> size (~
> | 1K) then I expect you'll never notice the loss of something smaller
> than one
> | percent of your memory. (unless, of course, something very important
> is
> | there...)
>
> Not quite. Flash blocks wear on write, not on read. When a write error
> occours, the control circuitry in the flash media itself will
> automagically
> switch to a different block, and mark the bad block as being bad. The
> OS
> never sees the error, and you never lose any data.

I'm not an expert in the field, but I thought I've read some comments
from Paul Guyot, who has been working extensively in the store area of
the Newton OS and I kinda of remember him mentioning that the built-in
drivers in the OS wouldn't be able to deal with those bad blocks, that
the only way to salvage the card would be to try to format it on a
Windows laptop with some specific utility program I don't remember.

This is all out of my memory, so don't quote me on this, but I thought
I've read some comments from Paul about that problem. Maybe he will
comment further when he gets back from vacation...

-Laurent.