Re: [NTLK] Newton-friendly ISPs?

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Thu Aug 09 2001 - 09:24:59 EDT

On Thu, 9 Aug 2001, Elliot Loh wrote:

> I've got an upgraded N2K with a modem card and I'm having problems dialing
> up to an AT&T Global Network account (this is a business ISP; I'm not sure
> if it's the same as AT&T Worldnet for the consumer).
>
> I read at landware.com that NIE doesn't suppor the PAT or CHAP-type logins
> that AT&T uses, but I have no idea if this information is current/correct.

PAT? PAT? Looking at the landware.com FAQ that you must've been looking
at, it looks like they typo'd PAP. PAP stands for Password Authentication
Protocol, is supported by virtually all dialup ISPs, and is also supported
by NIE 1.1 and 2.0. (If you're running NIE 1.0, you've got problems.)
CHAP is not supported by NIE at all, IIRC.

> This would match the error message that I've gotten from NIE (a general one
> about PPP Negotiation failing, check connection authorization settings,

Have you checked them? Maybe you wrote an o as a 0 or something.