Re: [NTLK] Benefits of footnote-package

From: Eric L. Strobel (fyzycyst_at_home.com)
Date: Fri Aug 10 2001 - 09:04:09 EDT

on or about 8/10/01 3:34 AM, the following may or may not have been typed by
Hagen Lang at Hagen.Lang_at_t-online.de:

> prepare papers solely on your Newton
> without the need for a desktop-computer.

Good heavens! I can't begin to imagine doing that. Not to denigrate our
Newts, but really now. First, most refereed journals nowadays want
electronic submission (TeX, sometimes PDF or Word), and you're going to have
to go to a desktop 'puter at least for that part. Second, it's my
experience that there's plenty of picky little nudges one does to balance
columns, etc. to make a paper look just right -- I can't conceive of doing
that at anything less than 100% scale. Lastly, although I can see how one
could do simple plots, tables and graphics using 'Works (or AvailWorks for
those of us not on MP2k's or eMates), you're not going to get Maple or
Mathematica plots into your paper. (OK, perhaps you're in a discipline
where such things don't matter...)

Anyway, I guess if it's just text with footnotes, it might just be possible,
but I think the reason this feature never was implemented was that nobody
ever thought someone would attempt something like this. And it boggles the
mind that folks w/ Palms might ever attempt such a thing!

- Eric.