Re: [NTLK] pkgs not activated - Help please!!!

From: Laurent Daudelin (nemesys_at_cox.rr.com)
Date: Sun Aug 12 2001 - 22:56:14 EDT

on 12/08/01 15:09, Raphael Coiman at mcracman_at_netscape.net wrote:

> What has happened. What can I do to put my application back into
> function? My memory mapping is: Internal memory FREE is 781K, Card1
> (free) 2996K and card 2 (free)
> 2687K. So there is plenty room everywhere for this to function. What is
> a file "xxx.donV" ? (Notion.donV). Why the Newton does not activate a
> package that was a functioning
> one before?. How can it be prevented?

You're listing the free space storage, but the Newton needs memory "heap" to
work. This is where part of the packages you run are loaded from the
internal memory or from a flash card. Check to see if you're running low on
heap. One way to do that is using Avi's Backdrop. This is an application
that you can make your backdrop, i.e. the one that is always opened. In
addition to use just a little bit of heap, there is a heap indicator that
tells you how much heap you have left. Every time you install a package,
whether on the internal memory or on a flash card, it uses a little bit of
that precious heap. If you install many packages, more heap is lost. Try to
keep only the packages you use on your Newton. If you must keep them, but
use them only from time to time, try to keep them "frozen". When you
"freeze" an application, the application is temporarily disabled, and
doesn't use any heap. Standalone has a free heap utility called "Freeze
Utilities" at <http://www.standalone.com/>, in the Newton section. Install
it and then, open Extras, put the pen on a package you want to freeze and
keep the pen down until you hear the "squeak". Then, tap the "Routing" menu
at the bottom right, just before the close button. There should be an option
to "Freeze" the selected package.

Additionally, some packages you install might prevent others from working
properly. I know this because whenever I thaw WorksBetter, every time I want
to activate another package, I get the very same message you mentioned. It
might be something like that. Try to remember what you did install from the
time that Eudora was working. That might give you a clue.

-Laurent.