Re: [NTLK] OS X

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Wed Aug 15 2001 - 00:02:58 EDT

>AppleTalk definitely is supported, and not just in Classic. Classic
>relies on Mac OS X proper for all the low-level driver-type stuff,
>and if AppleTalk weren't natively supported by Mac OS X, Classic
>couldn't use it either.

I'm not sure this is true, although I'm not an X user.

I've been told that MacOS X (this is to be fixed in 10.1) doesn't let
you connect to AppleShare servers but over IP (which seems to mean
that EtherTalk isn't supported), while Classic does support EtherTalk
(at least, it supports AppleShare servers over Ethernet and Newton
Connections over EtherTalk).

Besides, there is no reason for Classic to relie on OS X for this
kind of low-layer stuff except that the code already exists in X (but
if it's not reliable, why should it use it?).

BTW, the AppleTalk layer is part of Darwin.

Paul

--
Home page: http://www.kallisys.com/
Newton-powered WebServer: http://newt.dyndns.org:8080/