[NTLK] Hooking up an Old Newt to a Modern Network

From: Bob R. Kenyon (rrk_at_bobrk.com)
Date: Wed Aug 15 2001 - 03:54:24 EDT

I'd like to get my Newt hooked up to my network, but I'm having
trouble. Here's the deal.

I have an Airport doing both phoning duties to the internet, and
bridging duties to both my ethernet network and my wireless network.

I have an ethernet hub connected to the airport distributing to my
non wireless computer and to my LocalTalk network via an iPrint
adapter.

The LocalTalk network connects my Laserwriter NTR and some other
vintage Mac equipment, and my Newton.

My network is running AppleTalk over IP because of the presence of OS
X on my Cube, and besides it seems to be faster.

But my newt can't see any of this when it's hooked up through the
serial port, not even the printer! What gives? The print chooser on
the newton times out, and none of the IP stuff works. The IP stuff
does work through the modem, though.

And I know all of you are going to tell me to get an ethernet card
for my newt, but I don't want to just yet, unless that's the only way
to go. I just thought there would be a way to make this work.

--
Bob R. Kenyon
Beautiful Downtown San Jose, CA