Re: [NTLK] OS X

From: carpman_at_newtontracker.net
Date: Wed Aug 15 2001 - 16:29:45 EDT

> Anyway, there are things that X does and things that Classic software
> can do. You mention a scanner, I'm not sure you're right here, but
> since I don't have a scanner nor X, I'm probably wrong. But let's
> take another example. X does have serial drivers (like X has SCSI or
> USB drivers on top of which comes the scanner software), but X
> doesn't have a Newton dock software. Nevertheless, NCU works properly
> in Classic.
>
> Paul

X's serial drivers (in reality, all of X drivers) are modules for the MACH kernel. As such, most appear as UNIX devices in the /dev directory. Classic knows nothing about UNIX devices, so the abstraction layer that connects Classic to X translates classic driver calls to UNIX device accesses. This is why localtalk is dead in classic under X. Serial works fint because the UNIX serial devices were built to handle serial access, but they were not designed to handle localtalk, and the abstraction layer will ignore any atempt to access localtalk.

> --
> Home page: http://www.kallisys.com/
> Newton-powered WebServer: http://newt.dyndns.org:8080/
>
> --

| Carpman the Great 	| Guild of the Void Pointer 		|
| Ham Radio Opr: KD5HME | Keeper of the Arcane Dereference 	|
| Guild of the Void Pointer - All your base are belong to us    |
| 		Somebody set us up the bomb			|