Re: [NTLK] Missed commercial opportunities

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Aug 16 2001 - 01:39:52 EDT

I had a similar conversation with a co-worker at my
company who was in charge of a wireless networking
program that involved using the Newton inside
submarines wirelessly. They apparently got a wireless
applicaiton written (I think they were using the
Orinoco wireless system...Tempest equipped for
sure...)
They apparently had quite a problem with reflected
signals and had to install special dampening equipment
to prevent multi-path packet loss.
My co-worker told me that they had the complete
wireless ethernet system running on the Newton
platform flawlessly! (they were also aware of the
802.11 wireless security bug and had apparently worked
to reduce the exploit) and were on the verge of
deploying Newtons to over 40 ships at the Norfolk
Naval base (Oceania). He told me that the procurement
officer had a standing order ready for deployment of
over 150,000 newtons (for use both on ship and off!)
to be used worldwide.
The fact that Apple failed to deliver on this order
doesn't suprise me none...as I've said in this list
before, my efforts alone in the early days of the
Newton (the 120-os2.0 days) would have equated to over
a half a million units sold to major fortune 100
companies! Ha! Apple once again has the management
capabilities of a badly run dictatorship!
Ed
Web/gadget guru
--- Paul Grothaus <pgrothaus_at_mac.com> wrote:

<snip>
> He went on
> to tell me that the Navy had a large program to
> evaluate the newton for use
> on ships and subs to facilitate communications and
> wireless access to the
> ships' central computers from anywhere onboard. He
> apparently was in charge
> of a major part of this project. He told me that the
> Navy was very pleased
> with the Newt and made plans to issue 2100s to all
> shipboard personnel Petty
> Officer and above but canceled the deployment when
> Jobs canned the Newton.
> Now the Navy has issued Palms to most of their
> personnel but the Admiral
> told me they are not satisfied with the capabilities
> compared to the Newton.
<snip>

=====
note: This does not constitute a sig file...