Re: [NTLK] OS X

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Fri Aug 17 2001 - 10:49:53 EDT

on 8/15/01 9:52 PM, Michael J. Hu=DFmann at michael_at_michael-hussmann.de wrote=
:

> If AppleTalk is activated, you can access an AppleShare server running
> under Mac OS X via AppleTalk from other Macs running under Mac OS 9 (I'v=3D
> just checked by booting my Cube under X and my iBook under 9.1). What is=3D
>=20
> not possible for Mac OS X is to access an AppleShare server using
> AppleTalk -- only TCP/IP is supported in that direction. As OS support
> for file sharing has nothing to with Classic vs. Carbon, classic apps
> can't use AppleShare through AppleTalk in that direction either. Classic=3D
>=20
> totally relies on Mac OS X proper for driver support, so when some
> peripheral such as a scanner isn't supported by Mac OS X, it will not
> work under Classic either (you have to boot under Mac OS 9.1 to make it
> work). AppleTalk support under Mac OS X 10.0.4 isn't perfect, but it
> definitely exists, and that's why classic apps such as NCU can use it.

Which all means for me, is that I'm not upgrading to X any time soon. :-)
Maybe it will end up that Windows will be the better platform for supportin=
Newtons in the end. Does that sound correct? It certainly sounds horribly
ironic. :-/
--=20
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland