Re: [NTLK] Interesting Comparison (Was Living with Palm and Newton together...suggestions?)

From: Sushi (Sushi_at_ragingbull.com)
Date: Sat Aug 18 2001 - 09:41:50 EDT

On 8/18/01 at 5:38 PM, gopi_at_sin.sloth.org wrote:

>On Sat, 18 Aug 2001, Sushi wrote:
>> Or check out the Handera 330. A Palm PDA compatable device which, IMHO
>> much better than the iPaq for overall use and function.
>> <snip>
>> ...and many other wonderful features.
>
>But it lacks a real processor. THe CPU it has is basically a derivative of
>the CPU in the very first Mac, the 68000. The ipaq has a 200MHz StrongARM
>CPU. A $140 to 160 monochrome ipaq is much, much faster, and comes with
>16MB of DRAM and 16MB of flash memory.

No arguments there.

>On the other hand, it runs Wince. It is an OS that is far worse than I
>could have imagined it would be. It is inferior ot the NewtonOS in every
>small and every major way you could possibly imagine.

Remember, I stated for overall use and function.

The iPaq, while it may come with a 200Mhz StrongARM processor, does not
see the benefit of this speed due to the Pocket PC OS.

Compare the two side by side and you will see, for the most part, a Palm
OS device is just about as fast for normal type tasks.

Sure some apps may benefit from the faster processor speed, but for
Dates, Names, ToDos, and such there isn't that much of a difference. I
was surprised when I first tested the iPaq. I figured that it would be
much faster than it is.

Second, one extremely bad point, IMHO, is that to expand the iPaq, you
must use the sleave. That converts it into a brick which can no longer
be carried in your pocket. Which, defeats the whole purpose in the first
place.

With the Handera 330, I can have 1 GB of data on line without increasing
it's size. This is memory that I can access directly unlike with the
iPaq, or typical Palm OS units. Something similar to the Newt's memory.

Sushi