Re: [NTLK] eMate memory

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Sat Aug 18 2001 - 13:32:37 EDT

>I've looked (so far unsuccessfully) to find a pair of compatible Flash
>chips, same kind as are on the expansion card, because on the eMate's
>motherboard there are solder points for two more Flash chips.

Next time, ask before searching. David Watson already looked for
that. I don't think that these solder pins are for flash chips.

>So, the eMate's internal store should be expandible to more than 4MB... I
>*think*...

Indeed, we can increase it to 12 MB without changing a single thing
in the ROM (except configuring the additionnal flash in the ROM
Extension).

>And if anyone out there knows where I can buy compatible 16Mbit flash chips
>in quantities of <10 then please let me know, because I don't mind soldering
>them onto my Emate just to see what happens.

It won't work, because
(a) the pins aren't for compatible flash chips (which have 2 or 4
additionnals pins AFAIR).
(b) you need to configure the ROM board in the ROM extension.

Now, if I knew a good PCB builder company in Paris...

Paul

--
Home page: http://www.kallisys.com/
Newton-powered WebServer: http://newt.dyndns.org:8080/