Re: [NTLK] emate battery

From: Robert Benschop (rbenschop_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Aug 20 2001 - 16:53:11 EDT

on 20-08-2001 8:00, Jonathan A. Rodriguez at cameraboy9_at_yahoo.com wrote:

> Count me in! Before I buy new 1600mA cells and do it to my real battery, I'd
> like to practice!! If anyone finds this fabled ile of dead emate batteries,
> PLEASE, post it here!

I see your reasoning and I wish I had them, but all the eMates that I've
sold that came up with bad batteries (very few actually) have had them
replaced by Apple and all of the others were done like is shown on the
pda-soft.de page.

What I can do is give you a few soldering tips and advice to try this with
two wires (or whatever takes your fancy) first, so that you will be a bit
more confident by the time you start.

BTW, the first time I did it I wasn't so hot in soldering either and I still
pulled it off...

Robert's soldering tips: (no doubt followed by other tips from the list)

basically, if you can hold an soldering iron and can solder a bit you're
set.

Two basic soldering tips that will help you to do the job right.

The first beginners error is impatience, wait a while until your soldering
tip is hot enough, especially with batteries it's nice when it's hot and the
actual soldering doesn't take a long time.

Second, never touch the soldering tin with the tip of the soldering gun
(it'll melt right away but it won't stick to the surface) but instead hold
the soldering tip on the soldering lip of the battery with one hand and hold
the tin on it with the other hand.
Once the tip is hot enough the soldering tin will melt automagically and
you're done.

A third hand or something that will hold your tools in place is recommended,
you'll always find yourself one hand short.

Hope this makes sense, but basically these two tips made me from a dismal
"solderer " into a pretty good one.

Robert Benschop