[NTLK] eMate battery refurbish

From: Gruendel, Frank 3837 PPE-S3 (Frank.Gruendel_at_de.heidelberg.com)
Date: Tue Aug 21 2001 - 04:01:44 EDT

Thomas said...

> I have never done this before so I want to try it a fee battery, so in
> case I really screw things up, I always have the one inside.

Samuel said...

> Actually since I have no skill whatsoever on soldering/desoldering
> components I have thought of doing the same thing if I could fine a dead
> battery! This way I would have some experience before I tried it on the
> only one I have for my eMate (or my wife's for that matter).

Thomas said...

> I am in the very same boat. It's my wife's e-mate and I want to make
> thing better not worse. Cash for a dead battery sound like a good deal
> to me, now if only we could get someone to tell use how has a stack of
> dead batteries.

Samuel again...

> Actually since I have no skill whatsoever on soldering/desoldering
> components I have thought of doing the same thing if I could fine a
> dead battery! This way I would have some experience before I tried it on
> the only one I have for my eMate (or my wife's for that matter).

Jonathan chimed in...

> Count me in! Before I buy new 1600mA cells and do it to my real battery,
I'd
> like to practice!! If anyone finds this fabled ile of dead emate
batteries,
> PLEASE, post it here!

Then it was David's turn...

> This week I will be performing surgery on my battery. After hearing out
the
> good Mr. Benschop, I believe it is within my grasp. However, this will be
> my first attempt at soldering anything...

Let me assure you all that it is not that difficult to refurbish the eMate
battery.
I've done it many times (see
http://www.pda-soft.de/emate_battery_pack.html).
However, if you are not familiar with soldering in
general, especially with soldering tiny wires onto large pieces of metal
fast enough
to prevent the metal from getting too hot, you might want to reconsider.
After all, it is
expensive and hard-to-replace computer equipment that is at stake if you
fail.
For those of you who are afraid, I offer to do this for you. If you send the
pack
to Germany at your expense, I will refurbish it for the price of the cells
($18) and the cost of shipping back ($4). If you already bought the cells,
just
enclose them (and $4) and send the stuff over here. If you haven't, I'd
suggest you
let me use those I always use as I know them to be good and reliable.
Soldering tin and new heat shrink coating will be on me.

This is a one-time offer valid for list members only, and it is limited to
one pack per person ;-))

Frank