[NTLK] Re - A Messagepad for my wife! But which one?!

From: Gruendel, Frank 3837 PPE-S3 (Frank.Gruendel_at_de.heidelberg.com)
Date: Tue Aug 21 2001 - 04:18:23 EDT

> Samuel said...

> My wife has, over time, become more and more interested in the use of the
> Newton...

Greg answered...

> I'd say the 130 because knowing Wives, she's gonna want that Backlight, if
she
> is shopping or somewhere at Night.

Another suggestion

> Suggestion, Get a cheap OMP off ebay, just to see how much see uses it. If
> she gets hooked, then upgrade to somthing fancier.
> I gave my OMP to my wife, she was jazzed at first, then when the
excitement
> wore off, so did the use.

Samuel again...

> Thanks! Actually the size issue was the primary reason as to why I was
> writing to the NUG as I have only seen the MP2000/2100. Perhaps, then, the
> 0MP might be best, and the should be fairly inexpensive off of eBay. And,
> true, I am curious if she will use it over a long period of time...

And if that wasn't more than enough, here's my unimportant opinion...

I wouldn't buy anything older than an os 2.0 MP120. Sure, olde ones are
cheaper,
but all have os 1.3. Which makes it quite likely that your wive's new
enthusiasm
will fade fast. Apart from handwriting recognition that really works, os 2.0
introduces many other features that make a Newton fun to use.
OMP's and MP100's have the additional drawback that they eat up batteries
like
hell and use AAA size batts instead of AA size batts, so you'd have to
replace
batteries very often.

What's left if you take me seriously are 4 models:

MP 120 OS 2.0
MP 130
MP 2000
MP 2100

The 130 would be preferable to the 120 because it has backlight, but
unfortunately
the 130 is the least rugged model of all the Newton family. It has a
tendency to
die out of the blue for no apparent reason, the foremost problem being the
"Newton switches itself off soon after being turned on" problem. Believe me,
I know
what I'm talking about. I have fixed some of these 130's (well, not really
fixed because
as yet I haven't found the reason for this behavior. I revived them by
replacing their
main logic boards).

Now if either size or price is a factor, this leaves you I think with a
MP120 with os 2.0.
It is (not that much) smaller than a 2x00, it is way cheaper, and it offers
most of the
benefits you are used to from using an eMate or 2x00, albeit slower of
course.
To make up one's mind about whether Newton technology
is the right thing to use, this is the best choice in my humble opinion.

Cheers

Frank