Re: [NTLK] emate battery

From: Marco Mailand (Newton2k1_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Aug 21 2001 - 04:42:15 EDT

> Count me in! Before I buy new 1600mA cells and do it to my real battery,
I'd
> like to practice!! If anyone finds this fabled ile of dead emate
batteries,
> PLEASE, post it here!
Again, you can solder directly at the contact poles of a AA accu cell. The
requirement is as following:
1. a very hot and powerfull soldering iron, be shure to have about 100W or
more and about 400 deg C
2. something to cool the battery after soldering, a wet (destilled water)
tissue or maybe an alcohol spray (non-conductive liquids only if possible)
3. coround grinding paper and/or a file to make the pole surface rough
4. soldering grease or acid and normal solder, eventually collophonium
5. guarantee to not solder longer than 5...10 seconds and cool down the
solder joint as soon as the solder is benumbed

On old cells you can only try out how your soldering chemicals (soldering
grease) and your cleaning procedure works w/o to take care of the heat.
That's definitly not worth spending money for defective cells. Better spend
the money for new cells. BTW, would a plastic battery holder, similar to the
Newton 2000 battery compartment fit into the eMate?

--
With best regards / Viele Gruesse

Marco Mailand http://slsbd.psi.ch/timing