[NTLK] play "MP3" files how to do it

From: Mark Rollins (mark_at_mrollins.com)
Date: Thu Aug 23 2001 - 10:04:22 EDT

I just found the best way to work with MP3 files; part of this was
written up before.

I had mentioned that I use SoundIconMaker to convert MP3s to Newton
sound icons. (MP3 (using QuickTime pro) -> 8bit mono AIFF -> Newt
sound). These make neat startup & shutdown sounds using "Sunrise", but
the sound icons are not playable when tapped on the Newts screen.

I found that if you load a converted MP3 file, and want to have it play
as a startup sound in Sunrise, when you choose the sound in Sunrise's
prefs, the sound plays as a preview.

And play it does. I can make a new note, scroll a note, delete a note,
open the Extras drawer, In/Out box and names file, and the sound plays
without skipping, stuttering or dropping out. Even handwriting
recognition does not seem to be affected at all. I have tried this with
"Springtime for Hitler" and a few other tunes.

The only thing to be careful of is to turn off "action sound effects"
and "pen sound effects" in the Sound preferences.

What's missing of course is a FF/REW method, and to stop the sound
playback you've got to power off the Newt. But wow!

--

Mark Rollins, CIH, CSP mark_at_mrollins.com www.mrollins.com mrollins_at_thermo.com