[NTLK] graffiti etc.

From: Gruendel, Frank 3837 PPE-S3 (Frank.Gruendel_at_de.heidelberg.com)
Date: Thu Aug 23 2001 - 13:03:19 EDT

> The Newt recognizes words not just letters.

Which is the main reason that HWR in the models with os 1.x was as bad and
slow as it was. And certainly one of the reasons that the Newton was less
successful than it could have been. It is way easier and faster to recognize
a single letter instead of guessing what might have been written based on
the context available so far.

> I don't see how Palm could EVER do what the Newton does.

It can't. There again, Palm Inc. never claimed it can. It's only owners of
admittedly superior hardware who won't stop doing this kind of comparison.

The Palm is an organizer
whereas the Newton is a computer. Sometimes, when the computer won't fit
into
my trouser pocket, I'll settle for an organizer. In these cases I won't read
books or access the internet, all I want is something preventing me from
scheduling two appointments for the same time. And something
reminding me in time of appointments
I am not even aware of yet of because my boss scheduled them with MS OutLook
and
I haven't yet accepted.
All of this, of course, could be done by the Newton, too. Most certainly
much more elegantly. Maybe it'd even synchronize my appointments, emails
and notes at the press of a single button within a couple of seconds
if someone finally wrote
the required software and came up with a docking station. Still, it wouldn't
fit into my trouser pocket...

> I have never liked grafiti and consequently never learned it, since I
> tried it YEARS ago. The thing is, I know the alphabet now, but the
> recongnizer just doesn't recognize some letters, and it just sucks!!!!

This is not necessarily Graffiti's fault. I have used Graffiti on a Newton
and
it worked just fine. I have also used it on a HP Omnigo 100 and I couldn't
believe that Graffiti is able to work *that* good.

The problem with the Palm can well be the poor touch sensitive foil it uses.
Over time the isolating gel between the two layers gets compressed or
pressed
sideways and some parts of the screen, especially those of course that you
use all the time, namely the Graffiti area, get worse and worse.
I have two Palm III's. On one I don't have a chance to get reasonable
hwr recognition, the other one works just fine.

Frank