Re: [NTLK] graffiti etc.

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Fri Aug 24 2001 - 04:36:49 EDT

on 8/24/01 6:26 AM, Samuel Jacobson at jacobson98_at_earthlink.net wrote:

> cognition to Homo sapiens. We do not know of the rationalizing attributes
> of other organisms, be they in Animalia or not, thus cannot place ourselves
> above anything; nor should we ever as it would indeed be inappropriate and
> elitist (in no way meaning to Judge her, just MHO). Yet this is, of course,
> a technology and not a philosophy site where such friendly banter would be
> better placed...

Er, this is easily observable in nature. Look at the creative attempts by
all other creatures in nature... ... the difference is easily observable in
the fruit. Even giving an ape a paintbrush and letting it produce "art" is
not the same as human creative efforts. One could argue that it is merely a
matter of degree, but this is only the attempt at egalitarianizing (sic)
beyond the human sphere. Elitism merely being used as a derogatory term to
intimidate--subtly, maybe, but not a neutral term at all. Yes, this is not
the place for philosophical discussions, maybe, but philosophy drives
innovation, or stifles it. Such egalitarian thinking stifles innovation, and
that is a greater danger than the "elitist" thinking that humans are
different from the animal kingdom. I leave the topic now. Responses in
private, please.

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland