Re: [NTLK] info-newt.com (cable access comments)

From: Eric L. Strobel (fyzycyst_at_home.com)
Date: Mon Aug 27 2001 - 09:14:58 EDT

at the temporal coordinates: 8/27/01 12:43 AM, the entity known as Bill
Davis at newton_at_ecity.net conveyed the following:

> I was thinking about just switching to @Home for internet access; it's
> faster, cheaper, and they get it installed much faster (a couple of days
> rather than 10 days or more)....but due to the Code Red virus, they've
> shut off access to port 80 so you can't run a web server. So I can't use
> them for Info-Newt serving.

And judging from the activity on my cable modem, that's done *some* good but
the problem is NOT eliminated.

> If I do that (and it's looking likely) I doubt Info-Newt will come back
> online. It's probably gone for good.

How big is the Info-Newt site? I wonder if you couldn't put the "core" of
it on @Home's servers in your personal space and have a bunch of links
pointing to your home machine ON A NON-STANDARD PORT.

> But now I hear that @Home is having financial problems. So at the
> moment, I'm up in the air about what I'm going to do. (I'm half tempted
> to go with @Home, then wait until the day before the DSL account is due
> to go online and cancel the DSL and demand a refund on the modem. Just
> to get even with Qwest.)

My understanding is that it is the Excite part of the equation that is in
trouble. One of the articles on this specifically stated that cable modem
customers shouldn't be greatly impacted. In Northern VA, we have COMCAST
@HOME, which has you access the Excite @Home pages, but before Excite came
along, they had their own default pages. I suppose if Excite goes away,
COMCAST will still run their system, just with a different set of canned
home pages.

- Eric.