[NTLK] Aftermarket upgrade survey @ NewtonTalk.net

From: cgrier_at_ix.netcom.com
Date: Tue Aug 28 2001 - 17:44:59 EDT

Victor and the folks at NewtonTalk.net have been generous enough to allow me to post a user survey. If you are an MP2000 or MP2100 user, please visit the survey page and help us "take the pulse" of the community:

http://www.newtontalk.net/screenpoll/

There's been a lot of back and forth on NTLK lately about backlight replacements. The work that David Humphreys did to investigate replacement options was very helpful. I'm betting that more than a few MessagePad owners have followed his instructions in making the change. Still, it would be nice to have colored backlights made to fit the Newton available as a kit or installed by Dr. Newton.

I work for an electronics distributor, and had the good fortune to meet someone who worked with Apple to create the touchscreen on the original MessagePads. He has agreed to work with me to create a direct touchscreen replacement that will actually improve the visibility of the MP2x00 LCD display. (Recent technology advances have improved touchscreen light-transmission characteristics.) This would be a component that could also be sold as a kit or through Dr. Newton.

Replacing both of these parts at the same time would make for an improved Newton with enhanced usability - and would require only slightly more effort than replacing each component by itself.

Since this is still "vaporware" hardware, your feedback will influence how it ends up looking when it ships.

I hope to complete the design and manufacturing by the end of the year, and will post updates to NewtonTalk as I make progress.

Please direct any purchase inquiries to me off-list. I can be reached at cgrier_at_ix.netcom.com.