[NTLK] Newton 2002

From: Joel M. Sciamma (joelsciamma_at_compuserve.com)
Date: Sat Dec 01 2001 - 06:14:27 EST

Oliver,

> Built in:
> - improved HWR
> - CellPhone (GPRS/UMTS), with (wireless) headset, internal antenna, Iridium
> (how do they call that by now?) optional with an external antenna.
> - Camera
> - FireWire2 (for iPod access ;))
> - iPod2 compatible. iPod2 features a 20GB HD and a 20h battery, MP can take
> advantage of that battery via FireWire.
> - USB(2)
> - VGA/FBAS-out (miniport)
> - InfraRed/Bluetooth
> - AirPort2, internal antenna
> - Any up to date cardslot
> - Speech recognition
> - 256MB RAM
> - 333Mhz processor...

All this is the easy stuff and IMHO not really the point. In all areas of
computing we have become obsessed with ever better hardware specs, assuming
this is going to solve something, but with little regard for the device as
tool.

Newton technology is about enabling the individual and making the computer
as invisible as possible - something Apple have since forgotten how to do.

I would like to see the soup model extended even further to accommodate
hyperlinking, Jeff Raskin's zooming interface concepts and Bruce
Tognazzini's usability ideas. All kinds of labels to group any data into
projects, serious outlining tools with visual components, visual programming
like Prograph to build required applications on the fly without all the
ancient syntactical bollocks of NewtonScript and even more gestural control
options. Rich databases that can pull together information from anywhere to
meet my queries without all rigidity of current approaches.

It's the task that matters not the lump of plastic.

I assume that the hardware requirements can be met but it's this stuff that
will change my life, not a bit more RAM :-)

Joel.