Re: [NTLK] Newton Press under Classic ???

From: BK (bk_newtontalk_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Dec 01 2001 - 14:34:14 EST

On Saturday, December 1, 2001, at 10:37 , Robert Benschop wrote:

> on 01-12-2001 1:49, BK at bk_newtontalk_at_yahoo.com wrote:
>
>> I had rather assumed that I had some extension turned off that Newton
>> Press may require. I have turned off all but what it the absolute
>> minimum required to just about run Office under Classic, anything else
>> is off.
>
> So does NCU work in Classic ?

Never tried. I used FTP to talk to the Newton.

>> This is because if I turn on some more, then Classic will hang during
>> its startup.
>
> Haven't seen any problems with Classic so far, so do you have the same
> problem if you boot from 9.2.1 ?

I have had this Classic problem on four machines now. G4, iMac 233,
iBook 300, iBook SE, iBook 500.

On some machines/installations Classic started fine initally without
doing anything special, but some time later when you wanted to actually
use it and thought it would work because you tested it before, well,
nothing, just hangs during Classic Startup close to the end of the
progress bar. On some other machines/installations it didn't work right
from the start. Often, 9.2.1 doesn't work properly at all. That is to
say, it boots fine and everything looks ok, but when you click anything
to launch, Application, Control Panel, AppleScript ... it immediately
freezes the machine and you have to hard reset.

I tried everything, from zapping PRAM, resetting the power management,
to rebuilding desktop file, to reinstalling the whole system after
reformatting and zeroing the harddisk. Firmware is up to date too.

It just won't give me a stable 9.2.1 I have given up - wasted too much
time already. As far as I am concerned there is no such thing as a
standalone MacOS 9.2. And Classic only remains stable if I turn off all
but a few extensions, which was an incredible effort to find out which
ones so that I could use Office.

So, now I face the task to find out how to get a Classic setup that will
allow me to run Office and NP.

Probably it would be easier if there is a conversion tool for Unix/Linux
that could turn some other format into Newton Books, but from the
feedback I can see this is most likely wishful thinking.

Perhaps it isn't worth the hassle for what I want to do. I did various
Airport train time tables in form of Newton books some years ago, and
they need upating, but maybe I just type it into TextEdit and download
it into Notes. However, I am also working on some other docs which are
more serious than time tables and having that in a nice presentation
format in the Newton would be great as I might want to show it to other
people.

Is there any other stuff around that would be suitable as a presentation
format. Something like a miniature powerpoint kind of thingy for the
Newton perhaps ? Or is NP the way to go and therefore definitely worth
the trouble to get it working ?

thanks
rgds
BK