Re: [NTLK] Newton, GSM data services and roaming - CAVEAT!

From: Caoimhín (caoimhin2000_at_mac.com)
Date: Sat Dec 01 2001 - 23:13:25 EST

I wouldn't be roaming as I stay in Ireland half of the year, and have an
Eircom free account I can access. When at work, there's a land line
(finally) that I can use, but when away from work or even in my digs,
I'd like to use my mobile phone for access, as I don't have a my own
land line account. I don't know of any local cafes that have wave-lan
setups yet, but maybe I'll even try to set up my local cafe with one so
I can surf on my iBook. The problem in Ireland is that broad band
internet access is limited to major population centers, and if I set up
an Airport base station in a cafe there'd still be the land line charges
(per minute) even for a local dial up. Even still, the card phone would
be especially useful for me to use to fax from anywhere I have mobile
coverage, and it would be cool to have my Newton able to do this without
a wire connection to my mobile phone, which I can't do at the moment
because I can't find the Nokia data cable at any of the phone shops I've
visited.

Interesting info about the suit against Vodaphone. I had no experience
with Vodaphone until they bought Eircell, and from what I've seen,
service isn't a priority.