Re: [NTLK] 3com card 3CCE589EC?

From: Markus Rasch (m.rasch_at_gmx.net)
Date: Mon Dec 03 2001 - 16:41:01 EST

All four 3Com cards of the Megahertz-589-Series work with the Newton

The only differences are cable connector or X-Jack connector plus additional cable
connector and Combo (Twisted-Pair and BNC) or Twisted-Pair only. You can see which version
you have by looking at the 3rd and last position of the model-number.

They are:

3CCE589EC (only Cable connector with Combo (TP and BNC))
3CCE589ET (only Cable connector with Twisted-Pair)
3CXE589EC (X-Jack and Cable connector with (TP and BNC))
3CXE589ET (X-Jack and Cable connector with Twisted-Pair)

They all work in an MP2x00 because the electronics are almost the same between the models.
But keep in mind, the Combo Cable which inludes Twisted-Pair and BNC connectors take about
400mA of current because of the electronic parts in the Connector cable. The Twisted-Pair
only Cables or X-Jack connectors (also TP) only take about 70mA of current while _using_
it. The Megahetz Cards are the ones with the lowest current on the market (...I think).

The card with the most connection features is the 3CXE589EC. Because you can use the
X-Jack (no dongle (Cable connector) needed and low current) and if you need plug in the
Combo-Cable and you can also use BNC but with higher current)

I had all four types working in my MP2100

PS: To Victor Rehorst: If you need some pics for your Ethernet-Page, I can send you some
scans of my Megahertz cards.

Markus