[NTLK] [OT] Unlock code for NewtFTP ?

From: johnsinho's! (johnsons_at_mailmac.macbbs.com.br)
Date: Tue Dec 04 2001 - 09:33:26 EST

R Pickett wrote:
> ... in typical MacOS fashion, that
> apparently requires having a proprietary...
> Which, apparently, requires PPC MacOS.

Nope! There is a HotLine for Win too. This protocol is faster than any
other, and works very similarly to the ones that Napster pipes into.

> ... makes me wonder what the HELL is wrong with http and MIME that we have
> to reinvent the fucking wheel to share files?

Nothing wrong with http and MIME. But wrong with a "bucaneer" computing
as the one HotLine was designed for.

> And Mac people wonder why their universe is marginalized.

United in despair, maybe? But not anymore!

> Stop making up your own protocols and standards,
> and the world might choose to share with you.

But we're not the ones to blame! They all came from Unix!
It's much like going to the supermarket, shopping for tools: we get in,
ignore the ads, look at the items, read specifications, pick what we
want and leave. No hassle. They're just tools after all.

> ... I'd just like to be able to GET to it without
> sacrificing my fucking firstborn to Steve Jobs.

Jobs was sooooooooo away from Apple when these things came up... I doubt
he even knows how to use the HotLine. Maybe he does nowadays, for he
needs to feed his iPod.

> ... I'm -really- -really- frustrated by all of this.

Don't be. This is why we gather in lists like this one, to end up
helping each other.
United in despair, maybe? (hm... I'm sure I read this line somewhere...)

> If I -do- get hold of this file, I'll put its contents up on an actual
> webserver that actual people running actual OS'es (including, gasp,
> NewtonOS) can get to.

Well, make sure you have the excellent Aladdin's StuffIt Expander to
open the ".sit.hqx" file. If it turns out to be an application instead
of a bunch of texts, THEN you'll need Baslisk.
[ ],
johnsinho's!