Re: [NTLK] Problem with 2100

From: Sushi (Sushi_at_ragingbull.com)
Date: Wed Dec 05 2001 - 19:37:01 EST

>On 12/6/01 8:04 AM, James Elliott wrote:
>
>I have the opportunity to purchase a UMP2000 for under
>a 100 dollars. The catch is that on boot up, the
>following message appears: "This unit requires immediate
>repair. Factory calibration has been lost. It will not
>charge batteries until this problem is corrected." Other
>than that, it works fine. Is this a problem that should
>impede my quickly grabbing it up? Is it fixable?

Are you talking about this eBay item?

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1305653331

If so, who knows what the value will be in 4 days.

If memory serves, it costs $180 for Apple to fix a Newton. I would think
that you would want to consider that as part of your purchase price
determination.

The ad mentions: "Comes with serial and audio cables"

What audio cables?!

Makes me wonder if the person selling this device knows much about a
Newton devices.

Anyhow, I would exercise caution if you are considering buying this Newt.
 It might have some other problems as well.

Sushi