Re: [NTLK] 2k questions (thinking of upgrading to 2k)

From: Frank Flynn (frank_at_declan.com)
Date: Wed Dec 05 2001 - 22:25:05 EST

On Wednesday, December 5, 2001, at 01:01 PM, newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net
wrote:

>> Also, a trickier question... what about connecting a mobile? Say, the
>> nokia 6000 series.... how?

  I have the Nokia 6100 (ancient history now - still newer then my 2000+).

I also have the Megahertz 28.8k (XJ4288) - and a second 56k modem card
which has the land line (X-Jack) and a special cellular connector ($60
for the cable, 2 cables really with a big connector in the middle -
available only from Nokia).

Land line works flawlessly; the cell line does work but not very well.
It's slow - 12k max, drops the connection often and it kills your phone
battery quickly. This is in a area where the phone works fine
otherwise. Apparently this is because even though the cell phones are
digital hooking a modem to it forces the phone into analog only mode.

But I do know folks who have had good luck with solutions specially
designed for wireless computers (not cell phones). I imagine that a
Cell phone with a built in modem (one that has a serial input) would
work better - I've not heard of such a model but I haven't been
looking. Try before you buy or at least be sure you can return it if it
doesn't work...

Good Luck
Frank