Re: [NTLK] New GPS Software found?

From: Brian (bmcewen_at_mediaone.net)
Date: Sat Dec 08 2001 - 09:11:04 EST

>and, in fact, the software
>requires the attachment of a GPS unit in order to gather the data that will
>then be used by the software. Too bad as I would love to find an
>independent, fully functional GPS software/unit for the Newton.

?? a GPS unit that attaches to the Newton IS an independent unit :) What
exactly are you looking for then?

And, have you seen the GPSMap web pages yet?
<http://www.soaring.de/gps/GPS_Map.html>.
The GPS Map lite is pretty functional, and still available. He's quit
selling the full GPSMap program.

And:

---
     Makers of GPS Map Lite 2.0 Introduce the Tiler 1.0b1
     Newton software developer Gerd Staudenmaier recently updated GPS Map
2.0 & GPS Map 2.0 Lite. If you've got a Garmin GPS or Centennial PCMCIA
SatNav GPS Card receiver and a
     Newton, you're in business! .
-----

So at least one PC Card solution existed at one point, and any of the current handhelds that have a serial port and output NMEA ASCII will work with GPS Map newton software. I know a couple people here have used the Trimble handhelds this way, and Marco is the GPSMap guy on the list IIRC.

OK, enough about GPS.