Re: [NTLK] New GPS Software found?

From: Sushi (Sushi_at_ragingbull.com)
Date: Sun Dec 09 2001 - 02:16:08 EST

Sam, Brian, Marco, Eric (I hope that's everyone) thanks for the info.

I would like to add the following:

In the military we use the Universal Transverse Mercator projection and
grid system, or UTM for short. All military GPS receivers, and some
civilian, support this coordinate system. It is a very effective system
used during military operations.

By using UTM, you can give your location anywhere in the world, using
varying degrees of accuracy as the need requires. During an operation,
once everyone knows the general location if you will, then the map sheet
designators (Zone Location) can be dropped.

The following is the accuracy breakdown based on the length of the
coordinate or "Grid" as we sometimes call it:

    4 digit grid --> within 1000 meters
    6 digit grid --> within 100 meters
    8 digit grid --> within 10 meter
   10 digit grid --> within 1 meter

Here is an example location, given in the different accuracies:

    4 digit grid --> 64 79
    6 digit grid --> 641 791
    8 digit grid --> 6412 7912
   10 digit grid --> 6412579125

So if a unit were moving from one location to another, we might say they
are moving from grid 6479 to grid 6972. This would indicate that we are
moving from one 1000 meter grid square to another 5 kilometers to the
East and 7 kilometers to the South.

In the case of the Taliban and OBL, we would be using 8 and 10 digit
coordinates to pinpoint their locations for smart munitions to reduce if
not eliminate the collateral damage to noncombatants.

A great benefit to this system is that all coordinates are positive
numbers, there are no East-West or North-South designations, and a built
in check to correct the coordinates.

Concerning the accuracy of the GPS receivers, there are other factors
that are important to consider.

1. The number of satellites available for reception in your area.

2. The type of information that you require, 2D or 3D
(elevation/altitude).

3. The rate at which you will be moving. For very fast moving AC or
munitions, they usually will have a INS coupled with a GPS for backup,
and error correction.

4. The data accuracy that you require.

>Marco wrote:
>
>Of course, the DoD has the possibilty to activate the error
>at any time and I don't know the status now, but I could check
>it if anyone wants to know it :-)

Yes, this is correct, the DoD can do this. Military GPS receivers are
not affected by this and retain their accuracy. :-)

As for the status, I will leave that answer up to you Marco...

Now for my question, wasn't there at one time a PC Card based GPS
receiver for the Newt? I've been looking in some old files but can't
seem to find the info. Anyone have or use one of these?

TIA,

Sushi