[NTLK] [ANN] FileMaker Pro Companion Help text

From: C.W. Otto Sohn (oky_at_avalon.net)
Date: Sun Dec 09 2001 - 19:12:39 EST

Just a quick announcement that I meddled with FMPC and salvaged the text of
the FMPC Help File. This is now on my website as a "special".

OK, here's a brief description of the whole thing:

FMC:HelpClaris <http://newted.dyndns.org/users/osohn/FMC_HelpClaris.html>
is the non-garbage text (including the header) of "FMC HelpClaris.pkg" that
apparently was destined to become the "Help" part of the never finished
FileMaker Pro Companion for Newton.

I tried the FileMaker Pro Companion and it "works" pretty much as Michael
Schaefer describe it in his "FMPC-GRreadme.rtf". I cannot even get anything
to happen with "Connect" - it only generates error messages, but what does
it matter, Michael seems not to have gotten much further either.

I have FM3 and FM5 on my Mac, but neither one has the "NMust have never been implemented. I don't seem to be able to build an
export "file"/soup with X-Port. So I guess the database stays pretty much
confined to your Newton.

Anyway, I remembered that there is this "mystery" directory on UNNA which
contains this archive:

     <http://www.unna.org/unna/mystery/FMPCompanion.zip>.

I opened that, after I had installed the files in the

     <http://www.unna.org/unna/applications/database/FileMakerProCompanion-d31/>

directory and found out that two of the files in the archive correspond to
two files in the FMPC directory. The file in the zip archive that is
missing is the actual app (FMPC-GothApp.pkg) and that's why those
zip-archived packages never did anything. BUT, the archive contained
another file (FMC HelpClaris.pkg) which did install on my MessagePad (filed
in "Extensions"). Still, this file won't open by itself, nor through the
FMPC app. But with BBEdit I was able to open it on my desktop, and here's
what I could salvage (I stripped out the "garbage text"). This is what the
link FMC:HelpClaris will show.

Otto

*****
Otto Sohn <http://newted.dyndns.org/users/osohn/>