Re: [NTLK] NOS 2.0 ROM in Sharp ExpertPad?

From: THX 1138 (onefishtwofish_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Dec 10 2001 - 22:28:59 EST

On 12/10/01, James Elliott quoth:
>for he thought that the ROM in the ExpertPad was made specially
>for Sharp. That made little sense to me, though, for it was simply
>an OMP in a different case, according to what I have heard.

Yeah, if you take the case off, the inside hardware is identical.
Also, it takes the same system updates as an OMP/MP100, so I assume
that should prove the ROM is the same.

As for consequences, well, I can't tell you there. I know people
have stuck a 120 2.0 ROM in a 110 (forget where I saw this), but
that's different hardware. I'd say the most likely failure would be
in the screen as they have different resolutions. Next on my list of
worries would be the fact that the OMP and MP100 were starved for
heap, and there may not be enough to run the 2.0 OS. There's also a
good chance that the ROM won't be able to cope with the different
chipset of the ExpertPad/OMP/MP100. If this would render it
unusable/inoperable/beyond repair is beyond me. Then there's the
factors of different power considerations, wear and tear from
soldering and unsoldering, and lots of other stuff I'm not even
thinking of.

All the same, were it me, I'd try it on an old, cheap and far more
common MP100 before I'd risk a fairly rare ExpertPad.

later,

--
ben.
onefishtwofish_at_mac.com