[NTLK] Wireless LAN

From: Oliver Brose (oliver.brose_at_t-online.de)
Date: Wed Dec 12 2001 - 12:06:03 EST

I contacted Hirochi Noguchi from http://www.ff.iij4u.or.jp/~ngc/ regarding
his Lucent WLAN driver, this is taken from our correspondence:

>> Unfortunately, I cannot connect to the NCU on my iBook.
>> I tried both "computer to computer network" and "software basestation", both
>> channel 6 & 3, AppleTalk is set to use AirPort.
>> The LED in the card is active and searches for the Mac, but is unable to
>> find it.
>>
>> Is there anything one has to pay special attention to?

>Current driver supports peer-to-peer connection ("ad-hoc" mode) only.
>That mode uses channel 3 in Japan. (may be dependent upon the country)
>Connections via base-stations ("infrastructure" mode) is not supported
>yet.
>Then, which is the version of an AirPort software on your iBook ?
>I have heard that AirPort version 1.2 and 1.3 is not compatible.
>And I could let the driver work between PowerBook G4 running AirPort 1.2.

I think about downgrading to AP 1.2 for testing, but I have no clue whether
this could have serious negative impact on my OS9.2.2, and I have no idea
where to find AP 1.2 yet.

Again, if *anyone* has more information on this, please let us know.

Laurent, was it you who is working on that driver as well?
Are you in contact with Hirochi?

Oliver :)

--
You can take my Mac...
when you pry my cold dead fingers off the mouse!