Re: [NTLK] eMate or MP 2000

From: Brian (bmcewen_at_mediaone.net)
Date: Wed Dec 12 2001 - 21:25:26 EST

>Looks I have always trouble to make myself clear. So basically here are
>my questions:
>1) Is there any reasonable way of extending memory of eMate and not
>using PCMCIA slot?

If an emate does not already have a "DRAM upgrade", an upgrade of the
internal memory that just about doubles (I'm not an emate user, so check
the FAQ at www.thisoldnewt.com for details) the internal storage.

IF your emate does not already have this installed, they are impossible to
buy now. they were a special type of RAM that apparantly is gone for ever,
unless someone finds one on a closet shelf by chance.

>2) Is there any big trouble with eMate. Should I pay attention in matter
>of extensibility or tendency to break ?

In terms of expandability, they only have one PC Card slot, the 2000 and
2100 have 2 slots, and cost about as much or a little more than an emate
(depending on how good a deal you get on your units). A slow processor
compared to the 2000 or 2100. And recently people have noticed a recurring
problem- some sometimes one spring that keeps the lid "up" can slip out of
position and make holes in the irreplaceable ribbon cable connecting the
motherboard to the screen- killing the emate. You can take apart your
emate and place a washer to keep this from happening.

There is a lot of information and comparisons of Messagepads (some stuff in
table form even) at the Newton FAQ, hosted at www.thisoldnewt.com and other
locations.

Hope that helps,