Re: [NTLK] Apple Repair SUCKS

From: Raj Patel (rpatel_at_accelrys.com)
Date: Thu Dec 13 2001 - 03:46:49 EST

Hi,

>Is this a laptop or desktop? I know a few years ago, I bought a floor model
>Performa, and I busted the CD drive. I called Apple and the next morning, a
>repair man came and replaced the drive. Can't ask for better than that. Has
>Apple changed their service policies since then???

I'm not entirely sure how it works but in the UK I think
service is contracted out so you have to send whatevers broken
to a service center or if its brand new (DOA TiBook) send it back
to Apple after chasing the reseller and them telling you it isn't
their problem.

I just like the way you have a simple easy to read Service Tag
(rather than the almost illegible 8-10 digit scribble serial number
that seems to have become the norm for Apple from the LC onwards)
that Dell can look up and reference all the details on your
machine and any work being done to it. Problem with the keyboard,
they'll send a tech next day to replace; problem with hard-drive,
they'll either send you a disk or send a tech with the disk to
replace it etc etc

Granted they outsource the work to local contractors but the
service is still fast and efficient. This is contrary to my experience
with Apple repairs in the UK and NZ.

Still I've had 5 Mac's now so Apple must be doing something right ;-)

I'd love a TiBook or iBook - although I hear they've gone to the
evil WinModem/Software Modem thing on latest revisions. Nasty.

Raj.

PS anyone have a source for 2000 Newton Pens ?