Re: [NTLK] Apple Repair SUCKS

From: Laurent Daudelin (nemesys_at_cox.rr.com)
Date: Fri Dec 14 2001 - 04:12:49 EST

on 14/12/01 03:26, Raj Patel at rpatel_at_accelrys.com wrote:

> Hi Laurent,
>
>> Hmmm, I think you have been mistaken. There has been a "real" hardware modem
>> in the last models of PowerBook, including the Titanium G4. The last
>> "software" model was found in the Centris/Quadra 660AV and the Quadra 840AV.
>> Those 2 Macintosh were using the GeoPort adapter, with a software modem.
>
> From the debian-ppc list is this post on the pro's & cons
> from Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh_at_kernel.crashing.org>

Hey, Raj...

Unless I see some information coming from Apple directly, I will stand by
what I said. I don't know who Benjamin Herrenschmidt is, and I don't know
how he found a software modem in a Titanium...

-Laurent.

drone n.: Ignorant sales or customer service personnel in computer or electronics superstores. Characterized by a lack of even superficial knowledge about the products they sell, yet possessed of the conviction that they are more competent than their hacker customers. Usage: "That video board probably sucks, it was recommended by a drone at Fry's" In the year 2000, their natural habitats include Fry's Electronics, Best Buy, and CompUSA.