Re: [NTLK] 1800 Newtons...

From: John Ruschmeyer (jruschme_at_mac.com)
Date: Fri Dec 14 2001 - 15:57:10 EST

> From: "Eric L. Strobel" <fyzycyst_at_home.com>
> Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 15:35:04 -0500
> Subject: Re: [NTLK] 1800 Newtons...
>
>> The original email simply asked me to explain what we were doing with the
>> Newtons and now there seems to be theme of possible availability. Because
>> this work is done under government contract, the Newtons are owned by the
>> government. Until they decide whether or not they wish to keep this
>> equipment for some other use, it is hard to say what its availability will
>> be.
>
> I've found that, with ancient computer equipment, the Gov't. generally has
> totally forgotten about its existence by the end of such a long contract and
> never asks for it back. However, I've never been involved in anything with
> such a quantity.

Generally, there's a couple of paths that the Government could take,
depending on perceived value of the equipment and/or the level of effort
which the contracting organization wishes to undertake.

At the simplest, they could ask for everything back with the Government
doing the disposal via the usual channels (DRMO). I was on one contract
where just about everything was government-furnished equipment (GFE),
including the lime green desks and the hideously unreliable Xerox machine.
At the end of that contract, the contracting organization had it all shipped
back, even going so far as to install the copier in place of a leased one at
the Government site (and later use it for a trade-in on a new one). So,
imagine what happens in 1/04 when a COR or Government Task Lead, who is not
necessarily familiar with the real technology being used, gets wind of the
fact that 1800 PDAs (or worse, 1800 Palms or PocketPCs) have just become
available.

Conversely, the contracting agency could just abandon the equipment in place
or allow the contractor to dispose of it. The latter would require an
inventory, probably spot-checked by the COR, and some paperwork/receipts
that the equipment had been disposed of. This was what happened with another
contract that I was on where there was a lot of obsolete PCs and Suns as
GFE.

<<<John>>>