Re: [NTLK] Don't play with signature or How I crashed the system

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Tue Dec 18 2001 - 10:22:47 EST

On 17/12/01 21:39, "Denis Krasnov" <dkrasnov_at_nyc.rr.com> wrote:
[snip!]
> Can it be that trifling with signature indeed caused such a devastating
> effect ?
>
> Can anyone spread a ray of light to what happened ?

Quite possible. I didn't know you could drag something in the signature box.
That's probably what it didn't like. I don't think you did something wrong.
The Owner Info app was simply not prepared for this drag and drop.

This probably left the names soup in some corrupted state, since the owner
info is simply a special card in the Names soup, hence the crashes when you
were trying to restore the name soup.

Everybody beware, now! Never try to drag and drop a signature from another
application into the Owner Info!

-Laurent.

buzzword-compliant: [also `buzzword-enabled'] Used (disparagingly) of
products that seem to have been specified to incorporate all of this month's
trendy technologies. Key buzzwords that often show up in buzzword-compliant
specifications as of 2001 include `XML', `Java', `peer-to-peer',
`distributed', and `open'.