Re: [NTLK] MP2x00 Display Upgrade - update

From: Robert Downs (rkadowns_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Dec 18 2001 - 18:06:12 EST

Calvin Grier wrote:

>To the Newton Community,
>
>I've got good news report on the MP2x00 Display Upgrade kit!
>
>The good news is that design work is complete on the backlight and the
>touchscreen. Both sets of engineering drawings were approved last month, and
>first-run engineering samples will be under test soon. Assuming that these
>prototypes don't have any major problems, we should be able to get a
>production run of backlights and touchscreens completed by January or
>February.
>
>This means we'll miss the original production date, but not by much. I hope
>that taking more time on the production drawings will pay off in better
>final product. Here are some highlighted differences that you'll notice
>about the kit:
>
>1) The new touchscreen eliminates "newton rings." This is an optical
>phenomena that many Newtons suffer from that produces "oil slick" looking
>rings of color on portions of the display - particularly after pressing on
>the surface. It doesn't affect the functioning of the display, but it can be
>very distracting.
>
>2) The new touchscreen also appears more optically clear than the older
>Apple touchscreen. The visual difference on an actual MessagePad is most
>pronounced when doing a side by side with a non-upgraded unit.
>
>3) The new backlight will be white in color, and will appear bright-pink
>when not turned on. The white backlight will not be as bright as a new Apple
>MP2x00 Green backlight due to the composition of the phosphor material -
>since the brightest phosphors make green and blue-green backlights. However,
>we have taken steps to insure that the white backlight is as bright and even
>as possible particularly when compared to EL backlights made from larger
>panels that have been "cut down." Also, we are using "encapsulated"
>phosphors to protect against moisture - which has been known to degrade EL
>backlight performance.
>
>4) For normal operation the LCD contrast may improve - making it easier on
>your eyes. Although this is hard to measure, I will try to come up with
>numbers to support this. Contrary to what you might have been told, display
>contrast is more important measure than brightness in all lighting
>conditions.
>

>At this point I am preparing to set up the first build order. I hope to have
>an order-form posted on my web site that can be submitted by email, or by
>printing it out and enclosing payment in a letter. This should be completed
>by Jan 1.
>
>The touchscreen kit with white backlight module is expected to be priced at
>$129 + shipping. It will include a complete set of printed installation
>instructions. Opening an MP2x00 and installing this kit is NOT easy - and
>should only be attempted by experienced technicians. I will be posting
>email/web links for individuals that have contacted me about offering
>installation services.

> [...]
Sign me UP! You know, with great guys like you. The newt can live
forever. Assuming software and caring users can always be found...

I just wish I knew better the value of a discontinued newton when my
clear anniversary edition 110 was damaged with a broken screen. I would
have had it repaird and in my collection still today. I bought it for a
100 bucks and tossed it thinking Apple nor anyone else could repair it.
 Oh the ignorance.

Cheers!