Re: [NTLK] NCU problem still on

From: Laurent Daudelin (nemesys_at_cox.rr.com)
Date: Tue Dec 18 2001 - 21:33:36 EST

on 18/12/01 19:56, Gerry Lusk at glusk_at_mac.com wrote:

> Not sure if this is the same problem, but I used to have a problem exporting
> from the Newton with NCU. After much frustration I discovered that trashing
> the backup file from the computer and starting a fresh export then backup
> worked fine.

I'm not sure if there are people that are still performing incremental
backups, but if there are, please, follow Gerry's advice and delete, better
yet move it to another folder (like 'Old Backup') before launching NCU. NCU
is notorious for corrupting backups when you do incremental one, i.e. when
you always backup to the same file, i.e. when you don't specifically move
the backup file *out* of the current backup location defined in NCU's
preferences. Many users found the hard way that their backup was unusable
when they needed it the most. So, be careful, move that backup file out of
the backup folder everytime you'll be doing a backup. Take a bit longer, but
it's more safer in the long run...

-Laurent.

choke v.: 1. [common] To reject input, often ungracefully. "NULs make System V's lpr(1) choke." "I tried building an EMACS binary to use X, but cpp(1) choked on all those #defines." See barf, gag, vi. 2. [MIT] More generally, to fail at any endeavor, but with some flair or bravado; the popular definition is "to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory."