[NTLK] Faster serial connection?

From: Michael_Guzzo/Harmac_at_harmac.com
Date: Wed Dec 19 2001 - 16:37:53 EST

First, there is no NCU 2.0. You are probably trying to use Newton
Connection _Kit_ 2.0 which does not support NOS 2.0. You need NCU 1.0 which
is available at UNNA.

I use NCU at 38400 with no problems on a P3/550 running Win98.
Some folks using a really fast PC have to use some utility called
"slowdown.exe" (isn't that what Windoze does already?)

There is also a patch to run serial comm at 57600. It involved loading a
package on the Newton and editing the Windows registry.

Finally, you can't use Ethernet to connect to the PC NCU. If you have a
fast PC you should download the Basilisk Mac emulator.

A quick search of the list archives will provide more details because we
discussed this only a couple weeks ago, so it should be a recent thread.

--
Michael Guzzo
http://home.att.net/~michael.guzzo/newton/newton.html

-- original message -- Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 03:03:55 -0500 (EST) From: speedy2 <speedy2_at_dag.net> Subject: [NTLK] Faster serial connection?

Hello all.

I am connecting an MP2100 to a Win2000 PC via serial. Currently I am using the Package Installer 2.0 to install packages, but 9600bps is frustratng.

I couldn't get the NCU 2.0 to work -- it looks like it was written for Windows 3.11.

Any suggestions for faster PC to Newton serial connectivity?

I saw that the Package Installer 1.01 for NOS 1.x supports upto 57600 but that doesn't seem to work on the 2100.

Is there anyway to use the built-in Apple talk transport over Ethernet?

Thanks, Speedy2.