Re: [NTLK] Is It Safe to Buy From eBay?

From: Stephanie Maks (steph_at_maksystems.com)
Date: Mon Dec 24 2001 - 10:58:01 EST

eBay can be relatively safe, but you should do your research. Read through
the FAQs and all, read eBays' policies, they have lots of information for
new users.

There is a feedback system they use, the higher the number the more positive
feedback a person has. You can read through the comments people have left
about the seller. If you have questions, you can email the seller before
you bid.

eBay has an insurance system in place, but I have never had to use it, nor
do I really know quite how it works.

I would suggest you read and re-read all the text on a given auction, read
through the seller's feedback, and if you are already familiar with the
object in question, so much the better. Pay attention to the seller's terms
and conditions, and details about the item's condition. Some sellers have a
return policy, in other cases sales are final.

I've bought a wide variety of things through eBay, and I have never had a
seller take my money and vanish. I've had one or two occasions where what I
received was not quite what I was expecting, but then after re-reading the
auction details I realized that I'd made assumptions based on text that was
not-entirely clear the first time around.

The bottom line though is still, caveat emptor.

-Stephanie