Re: [NTLK] All I want for Christmas... & more

From: Oliver Brose (oliver.brose_at_t-online.de)
Date: Tue Dec 25 2001 - 14:25:11 EST

> From: "Tony Valentine" <tvalentine8_at_home.com>
> Subject: [NTLK] All I want for Christmas...
> Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2001 02:26:56 -0500
>

> Is a wireless ethernet card and drivers that work for my MP2100. That's
> what I told Santa at the mall yesterday.
>
> `Merry Christmas

Somebody point me to a server carrying AirPort software 1.2 and I will give
it another try.

More... my I *love Newton* rant...

Dear List,

I've been a Newton User for exactly one year now, starting off with a MP130,
then a MP2100, then an OMP, then another MP130. The OMP and MP2100 are still
with me, and will be joined by another MP2100 next year, unless Steve has
something most spectacular up his sleeve.

In a year's time, Newton changed my life. It changed the way I work,
organize, process information, remember.

I could never remember birthdays, I never wanted to use a filofax due to the
hassle it is to keep these things up to date, I was absolutely overwhelmed
by the horrible heaps of paper my studies produced, and frustrated by the
enormous amount of time I lost just filing them properly.
Not to mention that I would never ever take a second look at them.

Today, my MP2100 shakes me awake in the morning, and brrrps at me later on,
to remind that I *really* have to go, it knows about the dates and numbers
of persons I would normally struggle to know even by name, and it never
forgets.
I did not buy a single piece of paper for my studies within the last two
semesters, all my seminar notes are just a tap away, a quick web-research
can be done, transferred and ready in my hand within minutes.
Most simple things, as a quick search through a NewtonBook I made of the
Academic Word List, are my daily lifesavers.
Paper has become something I preserve for very special friends and
occasions. To use it for "serious work" seems just archaic, slow and
counterproductive from the point I have reached.

The sheer elegance of the NOS 2.1's GUI strikes me again and again, as I
constantly compare with "current" PDAs.
The Newton allows me to work the way I want to work,intuitively,
productively, and still as simple as a pen and paper.
There is nothing that could replace it for the things I do with it.

Whenever I came across trouble though, this list was always there, and I
just wanted say "thank you, all of you", and express my deepest respect for
the programmers, soldering artists, and "simple users" who support and
develop for this unique platform.

Thank you, and Merry Christmas.

Oliver :)

--
Wait! We can't stop here! This is BAT COUNTRY!