Re: [NTLK] (OT) eMail and Photos?

From: Sushi (Sushi_at_ragingbull.com)
Date: Sun Dec 30 2001 - 13:28:55 EST

Sam,

You didn't mention your friend's provider service. There are a few over
here that don't like attachments such as Nifty Serve.

Is your friend Japanese? If so, they are probably sending you two byte
characters vice one byte characters. A Kanji character requires two
bytes to represent it. Our alphabet requires one byte. This difference
can cause problems with text based documents -- even with numbers. For
example, a Japanese 1 is different than a US 1. Sometimes files get
messed up when they are encoded (saved) in the wrong format.

A couple of ideas that might help you with photographs:

- Ask your friend to send the pictures as JPEGs, they seem to come
through better.

- Another is to ask your friend to make a zip (PC) or stuffit (Mac) file.
 Then you can unzip/unstuff at your end to see the pics.

When it comes to pictures, GIF's, TIF's, BMP, etc. are okay. But if you
choose to send via the Internet/Email, I've found it best to use JPEG.
JPEG's seem to come through the best and with the least hassles.

I forget if you use PC's or Mac's. If you use Mac's, one program you can
use is Graphic Converter. It can convert most picture file types. There
is a similar program on the PC side, but the name escapes me. Sorry...

Hope this helps a bit! -- It's late, or should I say early, so I may have
not made any sense at all! ;-)

Sushi