Re: [NTLK] AW: offtopic .sit/.zip files

From: Bill Davis (newton_at_ecity.net)
Date: Sun Jul 01 2001 - 02:34:27 EDT

>All Windows from Win2000 on now have an unzip utility
>built in.

Interesting. I hadn't heard about that...and I use Windows 2000
Professional at work all day and hadn't noticed that. What's it called
and where's the program located? This is something we'll be able to use,
especially if it's scriptable as a COM object. I write programs in
Visual BASIC 6 and VBA in Access regularly that drive several other
programs (Outlook, Excel, Reflection, Reflection FTP, and etc.)

Our company installs Winzip and I still use good 'ol DOS-based PKZIP too
(not to mention Zip and Unzip utils on our OpenVMS Alpha system and ZipIt
and Stuffit on my Mac....) so I would not have noticed Zip being part of
the OS now..

Desktop OS's these days are getting so complex, though, with so many
little goodies tucked away. Too many. I noticed that MacOS X, after
installing the OS and the Developer tools and Mac OS 9.1 on a separate
partition on my PowerBook hard disk, had installed almost 85,000 files
and folders.

That is more files than on my main OS 9.1 hard disk, with all my myriad
programs and data files from 17 years of Mac use, and over a year of
archived downloads from the 'Net. That drive only has a bit over 75,000
files and folders

And of that 85,000 on OS X, I'm NOT at all sure it's counting the number
of files INSIDE of "packages" (a package on OS 9 and OS X is a folder
that looks like an application. The folder contains all the files used
by the app, but LOOKS and BEHAVES like a single executable program.

Windows has long been similarly full of a zillion unknown files. Sigh.
Two steps forward, one step back.

>What's really cool is that Win2K sees a ZIP
>archive as a seperate volume...Meaning you can drag
>and drop directly onto a ZIP archive and the necessary
>action will take place.

Interesting....but are you sure you aren't just seeing a feature of
WinZip? WinZip has allowed that for some time; I've dragged files to a
zip file's icon on Windows 98 before they upgraded me to 20000, and it
put the file into the zip archive. (I was using Win98, too, not Win98SE
or ME)

Stuffit on the Mac does something similar to that too, and has for years
and years. Stuffit's Finder Integration ALSO very nicely lets you make a
stuffit file by simple adding ".sit" to the end of the filename or folder
name, etc, too. And vice versa. Very nice. Dunno if that works for
other file types or to make self-extracting archives by adding .sea (I
rarely need to do either on my Mac, so I've never tried.)

And Apple's Disk Image program has also allowed creation of archives
(including compressed ones) that mount as actual desktop volumes for a
long time. The volumes are writeable too, if you want. It's been
their preferred method of software distribution on www.apple.com's
support area for quite a while

 - Bill