[NTLK] MacInTalk Only What I Want You to Speak!

From: Glenn Costa (gcosta_at_p085.aone.net.au)
Date: Tue Jul 03 2001 - 12:02:17 EDT

Fellow NewtonTalkers,

A talking Newt is really cool but mine was missing two key capabilities.

Firstly I couldn't get Newt to only speak part of a note, document or
selected text, except an eBook provided you specify pages (RouteBook by
Steve Weyer). You can't specify part of a page.

Secondly sound output can only be routed through the mono speaker,
unless you have a homemade or limited edition dongle thingy.
Unfortunately I don't have one of those.

I've come across a solution to the first part. With WordNewt (dictionary
by Eureka), there's a shrink button on bottom RH side of the
application's user interface. The shrunken and floating buttons include
a speaker. Select the text you want spoken from any application, hit the
speaker button and your newt will selectivity recite.

The second part of the problem is waiting for more magic from Mr. PCB
Man (aka Dave Humphreys). I've noticed that driving the speaker can
often consume quite a bit of battery power (try ModPlayer at full
volume!) so presumably using earphone speakers would be the way to go.

If anybody knows a simpler solution to the first part please let me
know.

Thanks,

GC