Re: [NTLK] Problems Downloading Packages From UNNA

From: John Johnson (kamikazebear_at_excite.com)
Date: Sat Jul 07 2001 - 16:21:33 EDT

On Sat, 7 Jul 2001 11:11:53 -0400, newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net wrote:

> >Why is it that when I download a package (Text to Speech) it is not a
pkg
> >when it gets to my desktop?
> >
> >Am I doing something wrong....
> >
> >Ive downloaded quite a few programs and have not had this problem. I
think
> >it is because when there a .sit file, stuffit can handle them....these
are
> >.pkg's....anyone know what I can do.
> >
> >Thanks
> >John Shepherd
>
> You need Steve Weyer's Pack Type, available at a local server near you.
>

> Mark Ross
> markross13_at_home.com

Not just there, either.
I have beed downloading .pkg files and, according to the download manager,
they seem OK, but when they get to the PowerPC (my eMate won't be OnLine
until I can get NIE into the beast, which I found in the inner recesses of
the UNNA site!) I see a file with a .PKG but is not recognised by NCU and,
when clicked "open", autoloads the "Internet Explorer" software which
couldn't open it either.
Some .sit files are no better: "stuffit" which I have ready to explode them,
just doesn't register them.
I've been to Steve Weyer's page and tried to get NetHopper, NewtScript and
the tutorial for Newton Development Environment but, strangely enough though
I *did* get the NewtDevEnv, the rest came in the usual unopenable form.
"pack"
 sounds good: is there any good sites? I haven't found anything like it
before!
Thanx!\