Re: [NTLK] Problems Downloading Packages From UNNA

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jul 09 2001 - 01:37:43 EDT

I dunno about that...
I'm running a Windows 2000 server at:
http://gng.tek-ed.com/newton
and all of my PKGs download and install flawlessly!
Sure, I set the mime type on the server...and the Newt
doesn't have a problem with any of the packages.
I can also go to the page and right-click on any of
the packages and select "save target" and a clean
package will download! (I only have windows machines
to play with right now...all of my mac stuff is in
storage!, so I really can't test other platform
performance's and I ONLY use MSIE!on my desktop
machines...)
Now!
I do know that there is a problem with some hand-offs
between competing ISP gateway routers! Sometimes when
two competing ISPs have a grudge (like PSI and Exodus)
they don't like carrying the other's traffic. So, the
routers that connect the two services may be "a little
slow" and that can sometimes corrupt unknown file
types when they need to be reassembled at the
destination. I've never seen a file corruption with
ZIP, RAR and SIT files, but I have seen unknown (or
rarely used) file extension types become corrupted!
Since my server which I list above, is sitting
directly on the UUNET backbone (there is nothing
between my server and an OC12 except for one
black-hole router and an edge router) I have no
problems serving content on my server...Most of the
times, file corruption is completly the fault of the
ISP!
Ed
web/gadget guru
--- Paul Guyot <pguyot_at_kallisys.net> wrote:

> > > Victor's running Windows so there aren't any
> type/creator's set for his
> >> packages, can be easily cured with Steve Weyer's
> PackType (drag and drop
> >> utility) which you can find on
> http://members.home.net/saweyer/newton/
> >
> >Well, I'm running UNIX actually (NetBSD and Linux).
>
> And the Chicago mirror is running X, isn't it?
>
> Even if you were running MacOS, types/creators
> aren't in the HTTP protocol.
> The problem is between the definitions of MIME types
> on both ends.
>
> Paul
> --

=====
note: This does not constitute a sig file...