[NTLK] AW: AW: surfing the net thru a Mac as a router ?

From: Johannes Wolf (jwolf_at_xe.estec.esa.nl)
Date: Wed Jul 11 2001 - 09:24:08 EDT

Hi Stefan,

if this would not be via the list, we could communicate in german, but maybe someone else will find the information to be useful and so it is better to write in english.
Thank you for your fast answer....the first hint for weeks !
[Johannes Wolf] I try to do my best.

Well...if there are other ways than Appletalk to connect the Newton
to the Mac (which is talking to the net) i would openheartly pull
over !
[Johannes Wolf] Of course besides the AppleTalk connection there are serial connection and Ethernet.

I just mentioned Appletalk coz this is the connection which talks
fluently to the Mac.
[Johannes Wolf] Right, this is the easiest way to connect between Apple devices, BUT as far as I know the LocalTalk network (via printer port) does not support the transmission of IP packets.

Indeed ... i had to use Localtalk Bridge which should work as a
software connector Appletalk <-> Ethernet...but is not working here.
[Johannes Wolf] The LocalTalk Bridge (I use an old PowerNexus) does not influence the AppleTalk protocol at all, but adapts the LocalTalk network hardware (I guess this is something like RS485) to Ethernet (twisted pair or coax). Since the Ether-to-LocalTalk bridge is connected to the Ethernet on one side (where a lot of packets with different protocols may be present) it needs to have a selection mechanism (hardware or software) to select the AppleTalk packets in order to "bridge" them to the LocalTalk network connected to the other side. So it strongly depends on the Ether to LocalTalk bridge device whether IP packets will be bridged or not.
In your case (and in mine too) the bridge does not support IP. But this is exactly what you need.

So: if you have any other config to surf with your newton using your
Mac as a "gateway"...please tell :-)
[Johannes Wolf] This gateway function of the Mac - to pass the IP packets from its internet connection to the local Ether network - is step number one. Step number two is to get access to these packets from your Newt. And there we are - if you want to hear it or not - at the point where the PCMCIA Ether card is very very useful and the easiest way to solve your problem.

I know that there is a more modern Ether to LocalTalk Bridge device available from Farallon, it is called iPrint Adapter.
http://www.farallon.com/products/ether/adapters/iprintadapter.html
A good friend of mine has it and I can ask him, but at the moment he is on mission. But I can already tell you that he switched over to the solution with PCMCIA Ethernet card...

Regards
Johannes