[NTLK] Abandonware

From: C.W. Otto Sohn (oky_at_avalon.net)
Date: Wed Jul 11 2001 - 22:47:40 EDT

Since "abandonware" is such a hot topic recently, I'll chip in my experiences:

First thing should always be the website of the company or individual who
produced the software

If the website is still there (but does not mention Newton software) send
an eMail to the company, detailing what EXACTLY you are looking for (do not
say "Hey, what happened to all you Newton stuff?"). Be specific about what
you want: purchase, dowload, unlocking code, etc. AND describe the
"dilemma" and make a proposal or offer; e.g.: ask if the author/company is
willing to make it available for free to the remaining Newton community,
etc.

If the website is gone, look at your shareware/trialware/demo or the ReadMe
file/documentation to find out who the programmer was (usually in the [i]
About box). Then try to find that person. I have been using GOOGLE,
entering the full name of the author and checking if the sites that Google
returns have possibly some connection to the person you're looking for
(unless the name is John Doe - which is almost impossible to find with just
the name). Then send polite but specific eMails to all the people/addresses
you think might yield a "hit" and wait for a reply.

Sometimes you're out of luck and get no reply, or just the formulaic
"...sorry that we cannot help you further with..." BUT sometimes you find
someone who does respond.

If I have some more time I can update you on some of the negative responses
I have received (for example: Mark Ebell who wrote InfoRetriever did
respond, stating that he could not release the software because of medical
liability issues - not because of copyright issues).

Anyway: This is how I found Brant Sears who wrote Clarity (and some other
Newton apps that, for the moment, are "lost"). He is a very helpful person,
and with some persistence and encouragement on my part he is going to
release Clarity as freeware.

Come on, if you really, desperately want some software give it a try. Don't
give up just because the original website is gone. There are many more
possibilities to track down the programmer!

And for those pieces of software that REALLY are abandoned, the idea with
the fee put in escrow may work - if you get a registration code somehow,
that is.

Those of you who are tracking down SmallTalk or other Newton apps: Let the
list know about your progress.

Otto

*****

The best things in life are not "things."

*****